[open-development] OKFest: Open Development stream next steps

Tim Davies tim at timdavies.org.uk
Thu May 3 14:37:30 UTC 2012

Hello all,

Thanks for all the great suggestions re: keynotes - and surfacing the great
articulations of open development that are already out there. I've added
these to the resource list at http://open-development.okfn.org/resources/ -
though that resource list could definitely do with some more attention.
Anyone interested in volunteering to develop it more most welcome...

Anyway, a few quick reflections/thoughts/updates:

   - Matthew: your distinction between open development, and 'open/free
   markets' is absolutely key. I've also been working to highlight that these
   are not the same, and that we have choices over whether we seek for greater
   openness to drive change through market mechanisms, or through more
   collaborative and co-production mechanisms. This said, I think in terms of
   'open economics' that the OKF's open economics strand of work is not so
   much about open/free markets, but is about opening up information on the
   operation of economic systems - for example - through making country budget
   information accessible at http://www.openspending.org. In that sense,
   there are some strong overlaps with the transparency elements of the open
   development space.

   - It might be though that we're not combined as a track with open
   economics: their proposal for a separate stream might be going in to OKFest
   in June separately. I think we have to wait and see on this.

   - There have been some great suggestions for keynotes. I guess the key
   question for us to work out is what we want out to a keynote. I think the
   framings of open development shared by Alan from One, Mathew from IDRC, and
   that could come from Aleem, Sanjay or Soren from the World Bank present key
   insights into aspects of open development, but perhaps only capture some
   parts of what different actors within this network are working on*.

   I'm leaning towards the idea of encouraging a keynote that is either a
   collaboration of a few folk, or where we ask someone to provide a survey of
   the broad open development space: but it might be that having a particular
   framing put forward is a better way to inspire all the other people who
   will be a OKFest to understand the development dimension to the world of
   open...

What do you think?

When the next planning call takes place (doodle here:
http://www.doodle.com/rdkraep9uwdm5cfc) then I think we should be able to
get a list of possible keynotes to put to OKFest team and to get invites
to.

All the best

Tim

*Again - happy to be proved wrong. I'm learning that either pretending not
to know about all your great work, or stating things like this is a good
way to get list involvement ;)

--

+44 (0)7834 856 303
@timdavies