[open-development] Articulating Demand for Open Data - Survey and Sharing Stories/Case Studies of demand and impact

Isabel Bucknall Isabel.Bucknall at devinit.org
Mon Apr 8 14:44:40 UTC 2013

Hi Everyone,

A couple of pieces of work on researching demand for open data on development - we'd welcome your contributions, so please get in touch if you think this is relevant:

i)                    The World Bank Open Finance and World Bank Institute's Open Government teams have just launched a research project to better understand the demand for open financial data (see their blog here<http://blogs.worldbank.org/opendata/understanding-the-demand-for-open-financial-data>).  Reaching out to a variety of open data users and suppliers, they have designed an online survey<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/10iugYX1Ixs6MGbFCm_gjeqVu6UYbmvHwn6ceG579gPA/viewform?edit_requested=true> and follow up interviews, to collect examples of how people are currently using open data, and some of the benefits and challenges it brings. Recognizing the fact that there are many potential users of open data who are not connected to the internet, they are also planning offline pilots. These will repurpose open data, to make it more accessible to communities, before asking for feedback on the usefulness of the data.
If you are a user of open data (financial and otherwise!), please complete the World Bank's survey<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/10iugYX1Ixs6MGbFCm_gjeqVu6UYbmvHwn6ceG579gPA/viewform?edit_requested=true>, and share it through your relevant networks.

ii)                   At aidinfo we're also trying to articulate better the demand for open data. We're doing this because we believe that using this information on demand is central to ensuring that transparency and open data initiatives are user-driven and shaped to user and potential user needs. Information on demand can tell us:

-          What data people want?

-          How they want it? (formats, applications etc.)

-          What individuals/organisations will do with data?

-          What enabling contextual factors are important for ensuring that open data has the greatest impact?
We'll shortly be sharing aidinfo's findings on demand for information in the coming weeks, but if you think you can contribute to our evidence on demand for information and the potential impact of open data, OR just want to find out more about aidinfo's work in this area, please get in touch with Isabel Bucknall (isabel.bucknall at devinit.org<mailto:isabel.bucknall at devinit.org>) .

[Untitled2]<http://www.devinit.org/>

Isabel Bucknall  I  Programme and Policy Officer
Development Initiatives, North Quay House, Quay Side, Temple Back, Bristol, BS1 6FL, UK
Tel:  +44 (0) 1179 272 505  I  Skype:  isabel.devinit.org  Email: isabelb at devinit.org  I  Web:  www.devinit.org<http://www.devinit.org/>  I  Newsletter sign-up here<http://dotsurvey.me/ac1e6i75-099ws7f>
Development Initiatives is committed to ending poverty by 2025
Development Initiatives is the trading name of DI International Ltd. Registered in England and Wales No. 05802543.  Development Initiatives Poverty Research is the not-for-profit partner of DI International Ltd. Registered in England and Wales No. 06368740. Registered office: North Quay House, Quay Side, Temple Back, Bristol, BS1 6FL, UK.
DISCLAIMER: This email and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or organisation to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Development Initiatives.  If you have received this email in error, please delete it and notify the sender.