[open-development] Future of OKF Open Development Group

Claudia Schwegmann claudia.schwegmann at openaid.de
Fri Aug 30 12:59:30 UTC 2013

Dear Colleagues

In the last few weeks there have been some discussions on this email list
and among individual members of the open development list about the future
of this group. There are several issues related to this email list that
should be discussed among the list members. This email is supposed to
initiate this discussion - hoping that many of us will be able to meet face
to face at the OKCON in Geneva in September.

Who is behind this email: Tim Davies has been the group moderator for the
last few years and has been active to organise the OKfest in  Helsinki and
to initiate talks with IDRC about a possible fellowship programme for the
open development “community”. Claudia Schwegmann from OKF Germany has also
has been actively involved to prepare the open development stream at the
OKfest and talks with IDRC. Simon Parrish from Development Initiative who
has sponsored Tim (and prior to Tim Tariq Khokhar) to coordinate the
working group. We do not have a mandate to talk for the group, but we feel
there are certain issues that need to be addressed and that should be done
in an open and transparent way.

Group coordinator: Tim has coordinated the list in the past years but is no
longer able to do that. So we need a new coordinator and we need an
acceptable process of identifying this coordinator.

Coordinator role: The minimum role for the coordinator would be to just
moderate the email list. A more ambitious role would be to coordinate joint
activities of group members, link our group to other OKF activities,
promote networking among group members etc. What do people think about
that? [sp: Depending on the role of the coordinator, this could be in the
form of small coordination group. A number of organisations have expressed
interest in being involved in such a group]

Group focus: Some of us are working on “open development cooperation”.
Others are working on local or national open initiatives in different
sectors in the so called “Global South”. Does this mix make sense? Does
this wide scope enrich or hinder the discussion? Would it be more
appropriate e.g. for an activist on open budgets in an African country to
be in the Open Budgets group of OKFN? What do people think about that?

Other issues: Are there other issues related to the “group management” that
need to be addressed?

Process: How can we have a fruitful discussion on these issues? Who is
interested to join in and shape the future of the “community”? Can/ should
we have an online process? Can we organise a Meet-up in Geneva?

We are proposing that there is a meeting in Geneva at OkCon to discuss
these issues, and hope that those of you that can’t make it can contribute
through the group via email. Depending on how the discussion in Geneva goes
and on interest by people not able to be in Geneva, we could do an online
meeting towards the end of September.

Please let us all know what you think.

   -

   What do you think the focus of the group should be? Open development in
   the broadest sense, or narrower to development cooperation?
   -

   Should the group aim to be more active?
   -

   Do you think a small coordination group is a good idea? do you want to
   be involved?

Thanks a lot for taking the time to respond!

Best wishes
Claudia, Tim and Simon

Claudia Schwegmann
*Open Knowledge Foundation Germany* <http://okfn.de>

Tel/Fax +49 (0) 5130 609691
Mobil +49 (0)177 3160 380 *NEW*

Twitter @OpenAidGermany
Skype Claudia.Schwegmann

*Die Open Knowledge Foundation setzt sich für offenes Wissen ein! Sie auch?
<http://okfn.de/organisation/spenden/>*