[open-development] Where next for the Open Development working group?

Tim Davies tim at practicalparticipation.co.uk
Sun Feb 3 11:30:49 UTC 2013

Hey Claudia, Tony

Great ideas both. I've added a heading to the Etherpad (
http://okfnpad.org/opendevwg) to particular log ideas for what a funded
project could be - and will try and keep track of suggestions discussed on
the list.

All the best

Tim

On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 11:26 AM, Tony Roberts <tonyroberts at hotmail.com>wrote:

> Claudia's suggestion is interesting. I have been involved in running a
> series of on-line
> conferences across the network of 75 African tech hubs that she mentions
> http://www.africahubs.webgathering.net/
>
> It would be possible to run a similar series of online conferences
> around the specific open development issues prioritised by that community
> in the run up to the OKFN event in Europe to enable these voices to shape
> the wider discussion.
>
> It would also be possible to run a live-link of the Africa network with
> the OKFN Europe event
> as we did in Finland.
>
> Tony
>

> ------------------------------
> Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2013 11:55:08 +0100
> From: claudia.schwegmann at openaid.de
> To: msmith at idrc.ca; open-development at lists.okfn.org;
> tim at practicalparticipation.co.uk
> Subject: Re: [open-development] Where next for the Open Development
> working group?
>

> Hi Matt and all.
> That is really good news! I am not sure who is on this list, but I think
> that people and organisations from Africa, LatAm and Asia should be
> involved in this discussion.
>
> Off the top of my head I would think it would be really worthwhile if
> funding would be used for "open communities" in the "South" to be better
> connected among themselves and exchange ideas (the ihubs in different
> African countries, IT communities in WestAfrica, etc. So funding may be
> used for networking events e.g. in Africa - e.g. in parallel to the next
> OKFN event in Europe to shape discussions there.
>
> Does that sound reasonable at all?
> Cheers
> Claudia
>

> 2013/2/2 Matthew Smith <msmith at idrc.ca>
>
>  Hi all,****
>
> ** **
>
> I’m excited to see what this emerging Open Development group gets up to
> this upcoming year. Given our interest in Open Development at the IDRC
> (Canada’s International Development Research Centre), I’m trying to see if
> I might be able to drum up some funds to potentially support a group
> activity that would advance the field and grow the community. So, I wanted
> to throw this out to the group for brainstorming – how could some funds be
> put to productive use over the next year or so to advance open development?
> ** **
>
> ** **
>
> There are a few constraints, of course. First, the funds would have to
> flow through an institution, so there would have to be someone willing to
> host and manage it. Second, the activity would have to have a focus
> on/include – and preferably be based out of – the ‘global south’. Third, is
> the amount of funds -- we aren’t talking a large amount here, but it also
> isn’t fixed – it would of course depend upon the nature of the activity.
> I’m imagining that it could go as high as 25k, with which I’m sure we could
> [...]

http://www.timdavies.org.uk
07834 856 303.
@timdavies

Co-director of Practical Participation: