[open-development] Licensing of Common and Fundamental Operational Datasets from United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UNOCHA)

Tim Davies tim at practicalparticipation.co.uk
Fri Mar 1 15:06:10 UTC 2013

Hello Jonathan,

The team involved in HXL - Humanitarian Exchange Language (
http://hxl.humanitarianresponse.info/) - at UNOCHA might have some insights
into this. It's possible the COD data might be feeding into HXL at some
level.

I'm not sure what the licensing around HXL is, or how much focus there has
been on this.

It might be useful to think about what the case is for a change in license
from the perspective of UNOCHA. What would a more open license enable that
serves the needs of the humanarian community? It could be useful for us to
be able to put the case from this perspective...

All the best

Tim

On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 2:42 PM, Jonathan Gray <jonathan.gray at okfn.org>wrote:

> I wonder whether anyone knows anyone working on the United Nations Office
> for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UNOCHA)'s Common and
> Fundamental Operational Datasets project [1]?
>
> It looks like a very interesting and useful project, and a shame that the
> data doesn't appear to be openly licensed [2].
>
> [1] http://cod.humanitarianresponse.info/about
> [2] http://cod.humanitarianresponse.info/terms-use
>
> --
> Jonathan Gray <http://jonathangray.org/> | @jwyg <http://twitter.com/jwyg>