[open-development] OpenDev Proposals for OKFestival 2014

Ben Taylor btaylor at twaweza.org
Thu Feb 27 12:29:16 UTC 2014

Hi folks,

I've added some thoughts to the
Hackpad<https://hackpad.com/OpenDev-at-OKFest14-SDobXcJkwPC>,
largely on the following points:

1. For me, the most useful session at OKCon13 was the extra day on Open
Dev, after the end of the conference-proper. It worked because it was
free-form and demand-driven, with no pre-set agenda at all. I would fully
support something similar for OKFest14.

2. I feel we don't think / talk enough about power and politics in open
development. A session on this would be useful, or even more specifically
on (avoiding) the risk of open data further empowering those who are
already relatively powerful. It could be linked to privacy, but I think
they are both big enough issues to justify separate sessions.

3. A session unpacking "infomediaries" in the context of developing
countries would I think be useful to many people. Who are they/we? What are
their/our incentives? What are their/our capacities? Etc.

4. There are some more general issues around open dev and/or this working
group that we could usefully discuss. Rolf suggested (somewhere?) defining
"open dev", and I would add a related point to this: participation /
leadership of this group from developing countries.

I am ready and willing to assist organising any of the above.

Best wishes,
Ben

- - - - -
Ben Taylor