[open-development] OKFestival / Vici Competition / Supporting Developing Countries

Marieke Guy marieke.guy at okfn.org
Tue Jul 22 12:19:38 UTC 2014

Dear All,

It was lovely to meet so many of you at OKFestival at the ODCC event and
the Open Development Fringe. I hope you all had a good week!

I mentioned to a few of you that I am involved with the LinkedUp
<http://linkedup-project.eu> Project which aims to get people and
institutions using public, open data available on the Web in educational
ways and we see potentially a lot of overlap with your group.

We are running a focused track as part of the LinkedUp Vici Competition
<http://linkedup-challenge.org> that you may well be interested in.
Those who participate can win prizes, make great contacts and showcase
their ideas and solutions to a key community of researchers and
practitioners in the education field.

We have published a blog post offering more detail on the *Focused
Track: Supporting Developing Countries*:
http://linkedup-project.eu/2014/06/26/vici-competition-focused-track-supporting-developing-countries/

This track brings in lessons learnt from the Making it Matter workshop
<http://linkedup-project.eu/making-it-matter-workshop/> help in May
(Supporting education in the developing world through open and linked
data). It looks at how linked open data can support education in the
developing world and seeks educational applications that target
developing countries. It is supported by the Commonwealth of Learning
and DANS.

If you'd like to see a summary of the Making it Matter workshop and how
it relates to the Open Development Working group then take a look at
some slides I prepared for OKFestival
<http://www.slideshare.net/MariekeGuy/mim-ok-fest>.

If you have any questions about the Vici Competition (requirements, data
sets, ideas etc.) do not hesitate to get in touch
<mailto:contact at linkedup-challenge.org>).

Thanks

Marieke
--