[open-development] OKFest session proposal: Perspectives on open knowledge: an open panel

Heather Leson heather.leson at okfn.org
Wed Mar 12 12:08:13 UTC 2014

Good Morning,

At Rights Con last week* there was a great session called Web Women Want
session. It was not livestreamed, but a friend created a Vizthink on the
conversation.

http://viz.bl00cyb.org/web-women-want/

The full blog notes: http://www.rightscon.org/live/

The Program: https://www.rightscon.org/program.php

*RightsCon - I participated virtually off hours.

Heather

On 12 March 2014 07:37, Duncan Edwards <D.Edwards at ids.ac.uk> wrote:

>  Hi Tom,
>

> I suggested a session looking at diversity, inclusiveness, and voice on
> the hack-pad which has now disappeared. I suspect it has morphed into the
> session Tim is proposing.
>

> My original thought was to look at diversity in terms of
> inclusion/exclusion and looking at what real inclusion might mean in an
> Open Data/knowledge world.
>

> I was thinking perhaps to bring some focus to a session we could frame it
> around inclusion, voice, and representation in the creation of data,
> information, and knowledge.
>
> ·         What do mean by inclusion? What different aspects of inclusion
> should we be considering? Gender? Class? Urban/rural? Ethnicity? Geography?
> Language?
>
> ·         How is different knowledge and the way it is voiced valued?
> Just because someone has "access" to a process of knowledge creation
> doesn't mean their contributions are considered to have equal value.
>

> I thought an interesting case study could be
> http://www.zerogeography.net/2014/01/uneven-geographies-of-user-generated.htmlwhich highlights some of these dimensions in relation to the creation of
> knowledge on Wikipedia - specifically looking at Wikipedia content related
> to the Middle East and North Africa region.
>

> Tim - how would this focus work with what you were thinking? Looking at
> your proposal what I'm suggesting feels like it is in a slightly different
> area?
>

> Tom - Does this fit with what you're thinking?
>

> Cheers,
>
> Duncan

Heather Leson, Community Engagement Director

Open Knowledge Foundation <http://okfn.org/>*, Empowering through Open
Knowledge*

IRC/skype: heatherleson  | @heatherleson <https://twitter.com/heatherleson>
http://okfn.org/  |  @okfn <http://twitter.com/OKFN>  |  OKF on