[open-development] OKFest session proposal: Perspectives on open knowledge: an open panel

Duncan Edwards D.Edwards at ids.ac.uk
Wed Mar 12 11:37:12 UTC 2014

Hi Tom,

I suggested a session looking at diversity, inclusiveness, and voice on the hack-pad which has now disappeared. I suspect it has morphed into the session Tim is proposing.

My original thought was to look at diversity in terms of inclusion/exclusion and looking at what real inclusion might mean in an Open Data/knowledge world.

I was thinking perhaps to bring some focus to a session we could frame it around inclusion, voice, and representation in the creation of data, information, and knowledge.

*         What do mean by inclusion? What different aspects of inclusion should we be considering? Gender? Class? Urban/rural? Ethnicity? Geography? Language?

*         How is different knowledge and the way it is voiced valued? Just because someone has "access" to a process of knowledge creation doesn't mean their contributions are considered to have equal value.

I thought an interesting case study could be http://www.zerogeography.net/2014/01/uneven-geographies-of-user-generated.html which highlights some of these dimensions in relation to the creation of knowledge on Wikipedia - specifically looking at Wikipedia content related to the Middle East and North Africa region.

Tim - how would this focus work with what you were thinking? Looking at your proposal what I'm suggesting feels like it is in a slightly different area?

Tom - Does this fit with what you're thinking?

Cheers,
Duncan