[open-development] Event on open data in closed societies in London 21 Sept

Mark Charmer mark at movementdesign.org
Thu Sep 14 10:23:08 UTC 2017

Dear Sander and Tim,

Thank you for your note about this. I’m unable to attend myself, but have recommended this to Cath Everett, a journalist who I work with at diginomica.com – she’s exploring themes related to tech for good, and I’m encouraging her to look at this topic.

I was with my former colleagues at Akvo.org in Amsterdam earlier this week and we all agreed that the need for much more investment in development of skills and good practices around data gathering and publishing in the societies you highlight here is vital.

I’m happy to help over time, if I can, with bringing these themes to wider audiences. I’ve just been developing a morning show format in Stockholm (with the backing of SIDA and the City of Stockholm) for insertion into cultural, scientific or technology festivals / events, and we’d definitely be able to fit these deeper issues into our format, on a future project in the right location. We’re building proofs of concept to show what happens when you bring artists into scientific and sustainability conversations, and package the recordings well.

Here’s the prototype, which we just completed at the Culture House in Stockholm: http://www.stamp60.com/the-morning-sofa

I’m happy to come talk to you guys about any of this, if it’s of interest and can help you attract the kind of backers you’d like to draw in.

I hope the event on 21st goes well.

Best wishes,
Mark

—