[open-economics] Setup an OSQA for Open Economics?

Velichka Dimitrova velichka.dimitrova at okfn.org
Fri Feb 17 00:53:13 UTC 2012

Yes, absolutely!

We should boot this up, get a couple of example entries and see what
adjustments need to be done.

As about the collaborative discussions on literature, I know that Sam has
done some pretty good work on TEXTUS (
http://blog.okfn.org/category/okf-projects/textus/), which "encourages
scholarly collaboration", so there is definitely something we can learn and
re-use from OpenPhilosophy.

Velichka

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 11:40 PM, Guo Xu <digitalepourpre at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear List,
>
>  The Effectopedia post got me thinking about the Metametrik/KillOrCure
> for econ idea we developed at the OKCon in Berlin.
>
> I was wondering if we could get a quick implementation set up using a
> tweaked OSQA?
>
> For example, people could post a question such as "What is the impact
> of openess on growth?". Each reply would simply be an answer with a
> link to a paper that provides some evidence in favour or against the
> case. The rating function could be simply tweaked to show the number
> of papers that argue for either case (thumbs up = good for growth,
> thumbs down = bad), and we could eventually easily identify research
> questions that are still unresolved. Tags can be used to categorize
> the questions (e.g. Macroeconomics, Trade, Microfinance etc.).
>
> It would be very cool to set it up and start collecting a couple of
> entries and see which adjustments would be required to adopt the OSQA
> to our needs. Personally, I would start adding content just as a way
> to summarize/review literature. The cost of setting this up would be
> minimal, and the return potentially large: Ideally, I could imagine
> this turning out to be the starting point for every empirical
> literature review in economics (we could, of course, also link to the
> datasets for people to replicate!). People could also use it as a
> platform to discuss literature (since each answer - reflecting one
> piece of evidence - can have sub-responses). This would certainly be
> something every economist would love to have!
>
> It is also comparably easier to implement than the original Metametrik
> idea. So what do you guys think? Could we just have a quick push and
> deploy an OSQA for Open Economics (@Rufus, in particular) to get this
> started? Would that be something to set up for the OKFN Labs?
>
> Guo

Velichka Dimitrova
Open Economics Working Group Coordinator
Open Knowledge Foundation
Twitter: @okfnecon, @vndimitrova
Website: www.openeconomics.net