[open-economics] Eurostat regional data - New datasets in the data hub - Preparing for the Sat 28th Hackathon

Velichka Dimitrova velichka.dimitrova at okfn.org
Wed Jan 25 15:31:54 UTC 2012

Dear list,

Last week we gathered for the Measures of Social Progress in Italy
DataParty #3 and looked for time series data on Italy. We found it
difficult to find monthly data for most of the indicators and because
of seasonal variations and volatility, monthly or quarterly data may
not be indicative of the country's social progress.

This is why we have decided to assemble annual time series on regional
level. So starting with Italy where do we begin?

Eurostat has categorised European regions by different regional levels
- NUTS1, NUTS2, NUTS 3. Nomenclature of Units for Territorial
Statistics - NUTS refers "a geocode standard for referencing the
subdivisions of countries for statistical purposes"
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NUTS).

Italy has 5 groups of regions - NUTS1 (North-West, North-East, Centre,
South and Islands), as well as 21 regions on the NUTS 2 levels.

Based on the indicators, which Dirk has proposed
(http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/portal/page/portal/europe_2020_indicators/headline_indicators),
I have found several of the regional time series datasets we need:

http://thedatahub.org/dataset/eurostat-at-risk-of-poverty-rate-regional-time-series
http://thedatahub.org/dataset/eurostat-science-technology-and-innovation
http://thedatahub.org/dataset/eurostat-employment-rates

Here I have assembled them in a long format:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Am9hsZClSlJ2dGlBaFJYT3RBVnVBcVVZRWkyc1J0aVE#gid=1

On the Hackday, data wranglers can help assemble the rest of the
indicators, looking for more data on the Eurostat website and on the
Italian websites.
Note that some of the data could have a shorter time series - starting
at 2004 like the "at risk of poverty" or could be only available for
the NUTS1 region.

Look forward to some fun data work on Saturday!

--
Velichka Dimitrova
Open Economics Working Group Coordinator