[open-economics] Open Economics Blitz Challenge - Sunday - March 18, 2012

Velichka Dimitrova velichka.dimitrova at okfn.org
Fri Mar 16 17:21:27 UTC 2012

Dear list,

A few of people expressed interest in coming together to do analyse local
economic and utility data and propose a smart solution for a
city/town/neighbourhood. I have put together these meeting details on the
Etherpad and would like to invite anybody who would be interested in
joining the Open Economics Blitz Challenge to have a look as well:
http://econ.okfnpad.org/smartsystems

Note that this will not aim at creating a complicated app, but something
small, smart and cute we can finish within several hours.

*What*: Come together to analyse local economic data, do a
data-visualisation and propose a solution for improving a local utility.
*When: *Sunday, 18th March 2012 @ 2:30pm GMT / 3:30pm CET / 10:30am EST
*Where: *Virtual on skype and IRC, server: http://webchat.freenode.net/ -
join #okfnecon channel

*# Challenge*:

** Description*: Find an open data set available from a local government
and design a utility (or improve upon an existing utility) that would make
the city/town/neighborhood a better place.  Then, using a compelling
visualization of the data, tell the story of how it would improve.
This is an Ideation Challenge with a guaranteed award for at least one
submitted solution.

** Tags*: Computer Science/Information Technology, Math/Statistics,
Business/Entrepreneurship, The Economist, Ideation
* *Deadline*: March 24, 2012
* *Active Solvers*: 666
* *URL*: https://www.innocentive.com/ar/challenge/9932803

*# Preparation: *

* download and clean a dataset with local economic and utility indicators -
e.g. - we could work on London - http://data.london.gov.uk/ or another city.

--
Velichka Dimitrova
Open Economics Working Group Coordinator