[open-economics] Fwd: [okfn-discuss] Open Source Finance Meetup in San Francisco, February 20

Velichka Dimitrova velichka.dimitrova at okfn.org
Wed Feb 13 19:18:50 UTC 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Marc Joffe <marc at publicsectorcredit.org>
Date: Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 4:14 PM
Subject: [okfn-discuss] Open Source Finance Meetup in San Francisco,
February 20
To: balug-talk at lists.balug.org, okfn-discuss at lists.okfn.org,
bayarea.members at lists.the-hub.net

Last week’s Department of Justice lawsuit against S&P reminds that five
years after the financial crisis, the global financial system is still
broken and constructive solutions remain out of reach. We believe that open
source tools can bring the transparency that this system needs, and have
formed a Meetup group in San Francisco to discuss open source /open data
finance concepts. ****

Our next Meetup is Wednesday, February 20th at 6:00 PM at the offices of
Kaggle, 188 King Street Unit 502, San Francisco, CA. To attend in person,
please join the Open Source Finance
Meetup<http://www.meetup.com/Open-Source-Finance>group and RSVP. A
description of this meeting follows:
****

Rating agency assessments of sovereign debt have been in the news for some
time. In 2011, S&P faced enormous criticism for downgrading the US, while
all agencies have been criticized for downgrading Greece too late and for
discriminating against emerging market countries. Less is said about US
state bond ratings, but interested observers might wonder why California is
still rated lower than many toxic assets despite balancing its budget.****

Instead of analyst discretion, sovereign and state credit ratings can and
should be calculated with transparent, open source computer models. Last
year, I introduced such a model - the Public Sector Credit
Framework<http://www.publicsectorcredit.org/pscf.html>
 - which I will demonstrate. The tool uses a combination of Excel and C to
perform a multi-year fiscal simulation on the target government.****

No food this time, but we are offering a virtual meeting alternative.  Up
to 24 remote attendees can access the session using GoToMeeting. There is
no charge for attending a GoToMeeting but you do have to download a small
client app. Most major platforms are supported. Details are as follows:****

Web Address: https://www3.gotomeeting.com/join/463426174****

Telephone Number: +1 (619) 550-0000****

Access Code: 463-426-174****