[open-economics] Fwd: [okfn-discuss] Open Source Finance Meetup in San Francisco, February 20

Alexander Praetorius citizen at serapath.de
Wed Feb 13 21:06:00 UTC 2013

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 9:18 PM, Marc Joffe <marc at publicsectorcredit.org>wrote:

> Alexander****
>
> ** **
>
> Thanks for your response. You are welcome to dial in, although it will be
> 3:30am CET on 21 February when I start talking!****
>
> ** **
>
> Several commercial models are available to estimate default probabilities
> for individual, corporate and structured finance credits. While no model is
> perfect, these technologies have enjoyed continuous use at banks and other
> financial institutions for decades. If they didn’t work, I am sure they
> would fall out of use.

[alex]
Hehehe :-)
This is a kind of reasoning that is not falsifiable, thus not a very
scientific method of arguing.

I could respond by indicating that we are currently experiencing the
biggest financial crisis of all time and perhaps a dysfunctional mechanism
to handle risk, thus "ratings", might be one of the major reasons why the
world is experiencing this financial crisis.... just saying :-)
[/alex]

> ****
>
> ** **
>
> Much of the difference in interest rates across different fixed income
> asset classes is due to differences in risk estimates by market
> participants. These investors are informally modeling default risk in their
> heads.  Since we know from the behavioral economics literature that people
> aren’t very good at estimating probabilities or weighting multiple factors,
> surely we can get better results by delegating these tasks to a computer
> system that incorporates our study of historical patterns and our
> theoretical understanding of default drivers.

[alex]
In the end it always boils down to heuristic methods. Heuristic methods
might work as long as they are not transparent, but once they are, the
subjects rated by the heuristics will anticipate the method and thus make
it fail, because the very act of transparently measuring it will affect the
behavior of the system itself.
[/alex]

> ****
>
> ** **
>
> For more on this please see my recent journal article at
> http://www.econjwatch.org/828.****
>
> ** **
>
> The issue of “gaming” the model is a serious one.

[alex]
And the issues will be even bigger if the model is transparent, but please
do not conclude that i argue for a continuation of intransparent ratings.
I think the method of "rating" will never solve the issue at all.
[/alex]

> Once an open source community is established to support a given model, it
> needs to be able to adapt the model to changes in market conditions. Also,
> this concern is not unique to open source solutions. In the run up to the
> financial crisis, issuers adjusted their deal structures to meet published
> rating agency criteria.

[alex]
To me, this sounds like a "raise of arms" kind of proposal :-)
Issuers adjust -> Model adapts -> Issuers adjust -> Model adapts -> ...ad
infinitum...->

I think a "raise of arms" solution is not a solution, but a waste of
ressources on both sides. It's more a "cold war" than a real solution, so
to speak.
[/alex]