[open-economics] Fwd: [okfn-discuss] Open Source Finance Meetup in San Francisco, February 20

Marc Joffe marc at publicsectorcredit.org
Wed Feb 13 20:18:39 UTC 2013

Alexander

Thanks for your response. You are welcome to dial in, although it will be 3:30am CET on 21 February when I start talking!

Several commercial models are available to estimate default probabilities for individual, corporate and structured finance credits. While no model is perfect, these technologies have enjoyed continuous use at banks and other financial institutions for decades. If they didn’t work, I am sure they would fall out of use.

Much of the difference in interest rates across different fixed income asset classes is due to differences in risk estimates by market participants. These investors are informally modeling default risk in their heads.  Since we know from the behavioral economics literature that people aren’t very good at estimating probabilities or weighting multiple factors, surely we can get better results by delegating these tasks to a computer system that incorporates our study of historical patterns and our theoretical understanding of default drivers.

For more on this please see my recent journal article at http://www.econjwatch.org/828.

The issue of “gaming” the model is a serious one.  Once an open source community is established to support a given model, it needs to be able to adapt the model to changes in market conditions. Also, this concern is not unique to open source solutions. In the run up to the financial crisis, issuers adjusted their deal structures to meet published rating agency criteria.

Regards,

Marc