[open-economics] global remittances visualization

Dan daniel at ohuiginn.net
Thu Jan 10 15:37:07 UTC 2013

It's a nice visualization.

Unfortunately the underlying data is a very crude estimate. It's
described at
http://econ.worldbank.org/WBSITE/EXTERNAL/EXTDEC/EXTDECPROSPECTS/0,,contentMDK:22803131~pagePK:64165401~piPK:64165026~theSitePK:476883,00.html

It seems the only information used in the model is migrant numbers, and
per-capita GNI in the home and host countries. As far as I can see,
there is no attempt to check the estimates against any other data on
remittances. It leaves out any number of factors you would expect to
affect remittances:
 - socioeconomic status of migrants in their host country, and their
families in their home country
 - culture of remittances
 - strength of family ties, and typical family situation of migrants
 - ease of sending remittances
 - typical length of stay (expected/actual)
 - etc, etc, etc

I'd LOVE to see something like this based on a more sophisticated model,
or even on real data. Alas, I've no idea where you might find it.

best,
Dan