[open-economics] Financial comparisons

Niels Erik Kaaber Rasmussen niels at buhlrasmussen.eu
Fri Jun 7 09:13:00 UTC 2013

Hi

On 2013-06-07 10:45, Tryggvi Björgvinsson wrote:
> Hi and thanks for the reply,
>
>  On fim 6.jún 2013 19:14, Niels Erik Kaaber Rasmussen wrote:
>
>> There are multiple official price-indexes all used by government in
>> different contexts: consumer-price index, a wage index, netto-prices,
>> an index for construction, for road constructions and so on. Parts of
>> the budgets are grouped in similar ways. Fx. construction expenses are
>> identifiable and these expenses could be adjusted using the
>> construction-price-index (same goes for salaries, road-construction
>> etc.). This could be a reasonable approach when focusing on a specific
>> expenditure post in a historic perspective. However to use different
>> price-indexes on different parts of the same budget is obviously
>> problematic because the relative size of each type of expenditure
>> changes over time.
>
>  This brings up another problem of what index to use. I think we can
> only infer that from some of our data (not the majority).
>
>> I choose to use a combined consumer-price and wage index to adjust
>> the historical data. This is not perfect but I found it better than
>> using multiple indexes for different parts of the budget and better
>> than presenting figures in real values.
>
>  How do you combine them and what do you do when you don't have the
> indices for the years your looking at?

There was an existing official price-index base on a combination of
consumer-prices and wages. As far as I know it is simply calculated as a
weighted average of the consumer-price index and the wage-index.

>  I don't want to present the amounts in real values (but I want to
> store the real values in the database), I want to present them in
> "current nominal value" (what it would cost if I were paying for it
> with today's money).

The same I tried to accomplish in order to make comparisons (a little
more) reasonable.

> The problem is that I don't have the data to
> compute the current nominal value (nor the data to compute the real
> value for all years).

I understand now that this is your main problem. In the Danish case I
had all the data available. My main concerns was choosing the best
price-index; how to deal with changes in accounting practices; what
exactly to define as municipal-level expenses (vs. state-level); and how
to deal with the fact that municipal responsibilities are changing over
time.

/Niels Erik
--
http://www.buhlrasmussen.eu