[open-economics] Financial comparisons

Velichka Dimitrova velichka.dimitrova at okfn.org
Fri Jun 7 10:01:45 UTC 2013

Hi Triggi,

>> I want to present them in "current nominal value" (what it would cost if
I were paying for it with today's money).>>

I noticed there might be a confusion in terminology that you might want to
avoid:

"Current prices" means always the price of the designated year or no change
or nominal values

"Constant prices" means when you have chosen a base year - e.g. for
deflating GDP the Penn World Table uses 2005 as the base year, i.e. all the
data is expressed in terms of 2005

See e.g. Uses and Examples here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_versus_nominal_value_(economics)

*