[open-economics] Global Economic Map on Wikipedia

Alex Peek alexpeek1 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 29 18:00:33 UTC 2013

Thanks Alfredas, that's energy data is really cool. I believe that what you
guys are doing is very important and has a lot of potential.

We have currently proposed about 30 economic statistics to Wikidata to be
queried for the Global Economic Map. The plan is for Wikidata to
automatically update the statistics for our project.

Here are the sections of the data set with the explanation:

1. *Summary*: Total GDP, GDP per capita, Population, GDP growth rate
This first section provides the most fundamental statistics about an
economy in a short summary.

2. *GDP by region*: GDP by region, GDP per capita by region, Population by
region
This section depicts the structure of an economy by showing GDP broken down
to a more local level. This can show income differences.

3. *Cities by GDP*: City GDP, City population
The city section shows most local component of the economy. Cities are the
major producers of GDP.

4. *Industries by GDP*
To provide more qualitative factors about an economy, GDP by industry is
provided. This shows which industries are most active and produce the most
most GDP.

5. *Employment by Industry*
This table shows which industries have the most workers. When viewed
alongside other tables one can speculate the salaries of workers in each
industry.

6. *Consumers*: Assets, Debt, Income, Expenditures, GINI coefficient
This section depicts the nature of consumers in terms of net worth, income
and expenditures. Consumers are an important piece of the economy that
should be monitored. This table is related to industry and employment
tables. It is also related to the tax revenue of the government.

7. *Corporations by revenue*: Revenue, Profit, Assets, Debt Ratio,
Headquarters, Employees
Corporations are the producers of private goods and services of the
economy. This section gives a depiction of the largest companies and their
current financial situation. This table is related to GDP and employment by
industry.

8. *Fiscal Budget*: Taxes by source and Expenditures by department, Debt
Government finances are an important piece of the economy. Tax sources and
expenditure are shown. This can be useful for an evaluating fiscal strategy
and improving transparency.

9. *Monetary Policy*: Monetary base (M2), Foreign exchange reserves,
Interest rate, Inflation rate
This section is designed to provide the most important statistics for
monetary policy. The balance sheet of the central bank is included because
it is the most central aspect of the financial system. All financial
entities in the economy are connected to the balance sheet of the central
bank. Inflation, foreign exchange reserves and interest rates are also
included in this section.

10. *Banks by assets*: Assets, Profit, Headquarters, Employees
This section provides further insight into the structure of the financial
system showing the major financial institutions.

11. *International Trade*: Exports, Imports, Trade Deficit, Balance of
Payments, Foreign Aid
This section is intended to show a country's exposure to other countries
through trade and finance. This can give insight to foreign economic
policy. Also related to monetary policy.