[Open-education] [OER] Pearson Foundation / Pearson: in trouble

Cable Green cable.green at gmail.com
Sun Dec 15 02:30:05 UTC 2013

Comments inline below.

Cable

On Sat, Dec 14, 2013 at 4:24 PM, Jacky Hood
<jacky.hood at opendoorsgroup.org>wrote:

> Cable's posting is very disturbing. The opening salvo is "The next time
> Pearson comes after your good work, keep this in your back pocket."

By "come after" I do not mean: acquire, steal, collect, annex.

I mean: belittle, disparage, smear, deprecate...

I mean: the next time Pearson takes a swing at OER as being low quality,
poor quality - as costing tax payers more money, as being a waste of
time... it may be useful to remind them, in a public forum, that they are
not playing by the tax laws of the United States and their actions appear
to value profit over access to educational resources.

> Unless I am reading this incorrectly, the implication is that Pearson
> Education has in the past and will in the future 'come after' (steal?) the
> good work done by each and every member of six OER communities. Does
> simply belonging to an OER community mean that a person produces good
> work? If Pearson is indeed stealing people's work, then it should be
> prosecuted, not simply reminded of a court decision of which it is already
> well aware.

No - see above for clarification.

> Pearson appears to have made mistakes in keeping a wall between its
> corporation and its foundation. It has paid dearly for those mistakes:
> $7.5M in fines, $15M for the intellectual property, and its employees
> forbidden to attend Pearson Foundation Conferences. To find joy in this
> situation is lamentable.

No joy - just facts.

> I suggest that we reach out to Pearson Education employees and welcome
> them at other education conferences. Recently I was privileged to serve on
> a panel entitled "The Future of Digital Textbooks" with Jerome Grant,
> Executive VP, Digital Products, Pearson Education. The conference was
> sponsored by the National Association of College Auxiliary Services, an
> organization whose members are taking a major hit due to the shift from
> print to digital textbooks.

I have and continue to reach out to Pearson.  I am in regular contact with
many of their VPs... and I hold them privately and publicly to reasonable
standards of proper behavior that supports broad and affordable access to
learning resources.

These news stories reflect poor behavior on the part of Pearson and the
Pearson Foundation.

> Mr. Grant, who once served as an Editor-in-Chief for Higher Education
> Mathematics and Statistics, said that Pearson would happily give away ALL
> of its content if it could receive a per-student fee for tools. Imagine:
> instead of 1/3 of the students buying textbooks for hundreds of dollars
> and the rest trying to pass their courses with no materials, each student
> would pay a single tool fee and have access to all content. This would be
> a win-win for all concerned.

I am eager to see such a proposal - and then compare and contrast it with a
publicly funded OER solution.

> Open Doors Group and College Open Textbooks have always and will always
> have a philosophy of 'no enemies, no victims'. Everyone who loves
> education must work together to increase access to high quality content
> and tools.

I completely agree.

Cable