[Open-education] [OER] Pearson Foundation / Pearson: in trouble

Jacky Hood jacky.hood at opendoorsgroup.org
Sun Dec 15 15:21:16 UTC 2013

Thanks for the clarifications Cable. I am glad to hear that Creative
Commons does seek to work with educators everywhere, including those at
Pearson.

The $3M grant from Gates was given to Pearson Foundation to enable FOUR of
the 24 courses to be provided free. This set a cost basis for each course
at $750,000. So the $15M Pearson Education paid for the other 20 courses
was exactly correct. All 24 courses were not developed using Gates
Foundation funds. By the way, I know that Creative Commons has long
advocated that tax-funded resources should be open licensed; I agree with
this stand except to the extent that it encourages ever more government
interference with education. However, your message is the first I have
heard about CC advocating that Foundation-funded materials be
open-licensed. Foundations have an obligation to their funders and some
obligations to the public because of their tax-free status; open-licensing
their creations is a very long stretch of the latter obligation.

There is a much larger concern about the Pearson/Gates Common Core effort.
Bill Gates has said that Common Core is a standard, not a curriculum. Now,
Pearson and others are creating curricula. There is a reason, avoiding
federal government control of education, that a few states have had the
backbone to avoid Common Core. They did this at the cost of bypassing the
return of money they have sent to Washington, the carrot/stick that the
federal government often uses to curtail state and local control of
education and other aspects of society.

Thousands of individuals and dozens of organizations are mounting a strong
opposition to this assault on education freedom. See
http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2013-11-04/news/fl-nmcol-common-core-oped1104-20131104_1_common-core-standards-core-opponents

It is interesting that Susan Neuman, a former Education Department
official in the George W. Bush administration who is now a professor at
the University of Michigan, worries about Pearson dominating the
curricula:
“Pearson already dominates, and this could take it to the extreme,” she
said. “This could be problematic for many of our kids. We could get a one
size fits all.” Ms. Neuman is wrong; there are hundreds of individuals,
organizations, and companies developing Common Core resources. The
organization she should be concerned about is the federal government that
has no competitors and is the real advocate of one-size-fits-all.

Regards,
Jacky