[Open-education] Introduction

Richardson P.B.R. P.B.R.Richardson at swansea.ac.uk
Fri Sep 27 08:06:06 UTC 2013

All,

Thanks to Marieke and colleagues for creating this list. It is very pleasant to see some familiar names, and some which are less known to me - but perhaps soon will be.

By way of intro: I am a biologist who has been working in learning technology since around the turn of the Millennium. At that time I was responsible for an online degree programme at Bangor (North Wales), with Oleg Liber, Sarah Holyfield and Christina Smart. Since then, I have worked at Coleg Harlech WEA, and I am now at Jisc Regional Support Centre Wales, where my focus has been advising providers of Adult Community Learning (ACL). I also teach a third level module with the Open University (This one: http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/course/u316.htm ).

I have recently been advising a Working Group http://wales.gov.uk/about/cabinet/cabinetstatements/2013/onlinedigitallearning/?lang=en which was set up to look at the impact of 'open' (including MOOCs and OERs) on the HE sector in Wales. We are very shortly reporting to the (Welsh) Minister for Education. That group has been working behind closed doors, but once the report is in the public domain, we can talk more freely about what the 'open' agenda means for Wales and other countries, and collaborating in earnest with colleagues more widely. Issues of scale (-ability) and working in a bilingual environment are important to us, as well as the impact of globalisation on institutions which are already heavily impacted by changes in funding, creeping privatisation, and other economic forces.

Yn edrych ymlaen at y sgwrs/ Looking forward to the discussion

Paul

Paul Richardson
Jisc Regional Support Centre Wales
https://sites.google.com/site/onnenmon/