[Open-education] Is there still an OER movement?

Mick FM mick at flossmanuals.net
Fri Aug 22 16:55:49 UTC 2014

On 22/08/14 15:10, Pat Lockley wrote:

> I do lots of open stuff out of my own pocket and time. I'd not say I
> was involved in an OER movement, or an OER activist. However I am
> concerned, with things such as a new definition of openness and by
> people drawing lines that all we are doing is ostracising people, or
> giving people the idea they aren't doing enough. The term open
> practice concerns me as it (to me) means you are part of a culture,
> when you might just want to license your work and then forget about it.

Do you think that the vagueness of the open thing can be a bit
off-putting? I was reading this paper today.
http://jeremyknox.net/2012/03/28/five-critiques-of-the-open-educational-resources-movement-oer-highered-elearning-edtech/

The whole thing doesn't really speak to me, it seems slightly
intentionally obtuse, but I wonder if there are a lot of people who
share the view on /*An under-theorisation of the notions of ‘openness’
and ‘freedom’.

*/