[Open-education] Is there still an OER movement?

Pat Lockley patrick.lockley at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 22 17:17:23 UTC 2014

I don't think that article is particularly well written (read it a while
back), and reminds of the blog post about why OER has failed that surfaced
a while back

"The primary objective of OER is to address ‘the provision of access to
learning opportunities to those who would not otherwise be able to obtain
them’"

Is it? Do we have a recognised list of objectives? Did I sign up to this
when I started? Most of the OER i've made have never been restricted. They
are not liberated, they have never been restricted. In fact, I only make
them because others may find them useful.

" While ‘open’ is used to imply a lack of restrictions *on the learning
resource,* it also implies a lack of regulations *on education*. "

Does it? Surely reuse means it just moves institution? Or teacher?

And given the rest of the paper is based around that I'll stop my critique
there

Lots of people have definitions of open, and I don't really care for it.
I'd say the definition is plenty theorised enough, though how you can tell
if something is sufficiently theorised is something which I profoundly care
about.

My definition of open is "has a license permitting reuse, or no license
restriction at all." I prefer simplicity and I would assume in doing so I
am fuzzy free.