[Open-education] Open Education Handbook available on Wikibooks

theo kuechel theo.kuechel at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 11:05:16 UTC 2014

Hi all  - for info

I have added the Open Education Handbook" to the background reading and
resources section of the Open Content Toolkit I am developing;
http://opencontenttoolkit.wikispaces.com/Background+Reading

I hope this may be of interest to some of you in the Open Education
community, feedback and critique  always highly welcomed. Please feel free
to join the wiki using code R49R74X
Best regards

Theo

On 16 December 2014 at 16:39, Martin Poulter, Economics Network <
M.L.Poulter at bristol.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi all, this is to announce that the Open Education Handbook has been
> copied here:
> (save for a couple of images that I've yet to import)
> https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Open_Education_Handbook
>
> In the process of making the Wikibooks edition, I have identified some
> minor errors like typos and broken links. I'm making these publicly
> available so that anyone hosting the book on any platform can make the same
> fixes:
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1un8_aCC6hJjcw_xiQHqEXq7PUas6lPe2bcNDJmsKU44/edit?usp=sharing
>
> As well as corrections, the Wikibooks edition has an in-book search
> facility as well as live-export-to PDF or to print-on-demand.
>
> Wikibooks is
> * a sister project to Wikipedia. User accounts on WP work on Wikibooks,
> and the editing interface is the same.
> * quieter than Wikipedia: no problem with trolls or hoaxers
> * meant for manuals, how-tos, recipes and textbooks - less constrained
> than an encyclopedia
> * like all Wikimedia projects, truly free: reusable by anyone for any
> purpose under CC-BY-SA and the GNU Free Documentation Licence
> * massively multilingual. For example, there is a Portugese Wikibooks at
> https://pt.wikibooks.org/
> which could potentially host the translated version of the Open Education
> Handbook.
> * connected to Wikimedia Commons: any of WC's 24 million open-content
> media files can be embedded in Wikibooks.
>
> It's worth checking out the Featured books section of Wikibooks, which
> already includes books on open educational practice, blended learning,
> Library ICT and other topics:
> https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikibooks:Featured_books
>
> I'd like to do more such imports, not just of books about education, but
> suitable open textbooks and reference books. So if I may appeal on behalf
> of Wikibooks, we're after:
>
> * Other books/manuals licensed compatibly (CC-BY-SA or CC-BY) that can be
> imported.
> * Editors/proofreaders : just create an account, read the books and
> correct any errors you find.
> * Illustrators: find an existing image on Wikimedia Commons to illustrate
> a Wikibook page, or upload freely-licensed images to Commons.
> * Other communities who want to collaboratively build a book reflecting
> current knowledge on any topic (could be a group of students on an
> assignment).
>
> NB: Wikibooks content is supposed to be descriptive "how-to", not a
> catalogue of web sites. Some OE Handbook sections are mainly links lists,
> but I advise against that style.
>
> You can normally get readership stats for any page on Wikibooks by
> clicking "View History", then "Statistics", but that feature seems to be
> down at the moment.
>
> Hope the community finds this useful,
> --
> Dr Martin L Poulter
> http://infobomb.org/

Theo Kuechel
Senior MirandaNet Fellow, Naace Fellow
Consultant and researcher, digital literacies, visual learning open
content.
theo.kuechel at gmail.com