[Open-education] Open Education Handbook available on Wikibooks

Martin Poulter, Economics Network M.L.Poulter at bristol.ac.uk
Thu Dec 18 10:17:59 UTC 2014

Phil writes:
> Might be worth having periodic reviews of changes that have been made to
the wikibooks version to see what needs to be pulled back into the OKFN
hosted version.

That's exactly what I'm hoping will happen, and that's why I've documented
the corrections made while transferring to Wikibooks.

Mick writes:
> The other is the more community based debate on when is it a good idea to
fork a project, artistic differences, different audiences / use cases etc,
and when it is a bad idea to fork in that you have a similar community but
different versions of a resource so potential contributors don't know where
they should update.

That's a fair point to raise. I'm on the side of more versions giving a
greater chance of a version being truly sustainable. FLOSS manuals is an
ideal additional audience of readers and contributors: so is Wikibooks.
They overlap, but are not the same. Putting a version on a Wikimedia site
means that its editable in a way that's familiar to millions of people. The
process of transferring into Wikibooks has already resulted in improvements
that can feed into other versions.
I admit that keeping versions in sync is possible in principle but in
practice it's a tedious manual process. Periodic update combined with
review, as suggested in the video discussion and this thread, seems to me
to be the way to go. The different versions don't have to be peers: as in
wiki-to-journal publication, we can have authoritative, checked versions
and immediately editable versions.
If the Wikibooks version gets ignored and people maintain the other
versions, I'm fine with it: that'll be an experiment I'll learn from. Let's
see what happens.

On 17 December 2014 at 13:48, Barker, Phil A <Phil.Barker at hw.ac.uk> wrote:

>  ...and EPUB-WEB makes this even more attractive.
> http://w3c.github.io/epubweb/ my summary at
> http://blogs.pjjk.net/phil/initial-thoughts-on-epub-web-portable-documents-for-the-open-web-platform/
>
> Phil

Dr Martin L Poulter