[Open-education] [OER] Wellcome Library: 100, 000 high resolution images (CC BY) of manuscripts, paintings, etchings, early photography, and advertisements

Stephen Downes stephen at downes.ca
Tue Jan 21 22:40:22 UTC 2014

Hiya all,

It's worth noting that a great many of the images in the database are also
listed as 'rights managed', which I'm finding frequently means this:

Copyrighted work available under Creative Commons by-nc-nd 2.0 UK: England &
Wales, see http://wellcomeimages.org/indexplus/page/Prices.html

The page listed says:

"All low res images on this site are freely available for download for
personal, academic teaching or study use, under one of two Creative Commons
licences. For further details please see our Terms of Use
<http://wellcomeimages.org/indexplus/page/Terms.html?> .

"Hi-res historical images are also available to download from this site free
of charge, for any usage, under a Creative Commons Attribution Only - CC-BY
licence.

"For new photography, larger electronic files or prints, please see the
price list below. Prices exclude VAT and postage."

I'm not sure what the cut-off is between 'historical' and 'contemporary'
images, but the historical images appear very old (several are dated 1906)
suggesting they may actually be in the public domain (making the CC-by
license overkill, and arguably inapplicable).

So I would say that this is *in fact* a distribution of a great many of CC
by-NC-SA images, with an additional distribution of many public domain
images.

Not that I'm criticizing them; it's probably how I'd do it. But I would
refrain from saying this is a large release of CC-by images.

-- Stephen