[Open-education] [OER] Wellcome Library: 100, 000 high resolution images (CC BY) of manuscripts, paintings, etchings, early photography, and advertisements

Cable Green cable.green at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 23:19:31 UTC 2014

Thanks Stephen.

We noticed the same thing at Creative Commons.

Wellcome calls the some of the works "out of copyright images" but asserts
copyright in the digital reproductions that it offers under the CC license.

CC is in active discussions re: if Wellcome should be able to apply an open
license to a reproduction of a work that is in the public domain. Some have
been trying to explain that it might be a consequence of UK copyright law,
which may give some sort of "sweat-of-the-brow" right to those making the
digital reproductions. But that's not entirely clear.

Of course, it's a positive move for big cultural institutions moving into
the world of "open," but if a work is in the Public Domain, the work needs
to be properly marked as such (e.g., http://creativecommons.org/choose/mark/
).

This is an active, ongoing conversation.

Warm regards,

Cable