[Open-education] Friday Chat: Re: Import Lesson

Raniere Silva raniere at riseup.net
Fri Jul 4 23:05:09 UTC 2014

Once more, thanks for the amazing links.

> As has been mentioned, we need an editor that is simple and easy to use,
> otherwise educators will not use it.

I agree. The problem that the tool be editor dependent it that the user will be
limited by the editor features. I want to use git and allow the user choose the
HTML convert tool to allow he/she use the editor (or markup language) that best
suit his/her needs. E.g. for a K-8 teacher a WYSIWYG editor is better but for a
math high education teacher LaTeX can be preferable and for a engineering high
education teacher IPython Notebook.

> We have already seen cases where teachers have created their
> own versions of our content by adding some of their notes, taking out
> images for tests, etc. But, they often just do this by taking screen shots!
>
> But, I also think that for OER to be remixed, we need to break it down into
> its parts again. i have had many, many requests for the images and concept
> maps in our textbooks as teachers want to re-use these to create their own
> summary notes for learners or tests.

This is another reason that I want avoid that users deals with EPUB or any other
zip format. From my personal experience, if you give to "Alice" an EPUB and to
"Bob" the content of it as a directory/folder and ask they to re-use one image
in another document, "Alice" probably will use a screenshot because the EPUB
editor don't allow to export the image (and "Alice" don't know that she can
unzip the EPUB and pick the image) and "Bob" probably will browser the
directories/folders to see what file he can find.

Raniere