[Open-education] Open Government Data: Helping Parents to find the Best School for their Kids

Marieke Guy marieke.guy at okfn.org
Tue Jun 3 15:02:25 UTC 2014

There is a great post on the Open Government Partnership blog about
using open government data to help parents find the best school.
http://www.opengovpartnership.org/blog/radu-cucos/2014/06/03/open-government-data-helping-parents-find-best-school-their-kids

The post, by Radu Cucos from Moldova, lists several apps from different
countries that have been built on government data related to education
and education institutions. I'll be adding these to the Open Education
Handbook
<http://booktype.okfn.org/open-education-handbook/_draft/_v/1.0/open-data-use-cases/>.

He concludes by saying:

"Open data on schools has great value not only for parents but also for
the educational system in general. Each country has its own school
market, if education is considered as a product in this market. Perfect
information about products is one of the main characteristics of
competitive markets. From this perspective, giving parents the
opportunity to have access to information about schools characteristics
will contribute to the increase in the competitiveness of the schools
market. Educational institutions will have incentives to improve their
performance in order to attract more students.

While adopting the Open Data Initiative policy in the education field
has advantages for everybody -- parents, schools and state authorities,
it falls to governments to take the leading role in promoting Open Data.
First of all, governments have to make sure that data on schools is
being publicly released and regularly updated. Second, state
institutions have to incentivize developers to create innovative apps.
Third, governments have to increase demand for educational apps by
raising awareness, lowering the costs for Open Data apps accessibility
and decreasing the costs of accessing additional sources and information
about schools."

I'd be interested in hearing more about this from a country perspective.
Anyone got any interesting use cases to share?

We plan to have a community session on 'What has open data got to do
with education' during June - details to follow.

Marieke

--

Marieke Guy
LinkedUp <http://linkedup-project.eu/> Project Community Coordinator |