[Open-education] mixing and matching licences

Baden Appleyard b.appleyard at ausgoal.gov.au
Tue Jun 3 23:41:43 UTC 2014

Hi Mick,

I am not sure if the following might be of assistance, but perhaps it will.

Since 2007 the AusGOAL Programme (and its predecessor, GILF - the
Government Information Licensing Framework) has had a licence chooser tool
that operates to prefer / bias toward the licensing of material under the
least restrictive licence as possible.  Under the suite of AusGOAL
recommended licences that would generally be the CC-BY licence.

It also operates to identify the least restrictive licence where a number
of nested copyrights exist within material.  So for example, if something
contained CC-BY and CC-BY-NC, then it would select the preferred licence as
CC-BY-NC for the whole package, given the restrictions contained in the
BY-NC portion of the package.

It also has functionality to produce a report, and it seeks to educate as a
user progresses through the process.

It is a bit clunky (its quite a few years since I launched it), but we are
in the process of developing a new one, along with a new website and a
number of other tools, such as an Add-in for Microsoft Office that allows
for the insertion of CC 4 licences / waivers into documents, including
reference to same in the file metadata (docx etc). The chooser was
originally intended for use by public servants, though we now consider that
the new version should be widened to include other fields of endeavour,
such as education, and research and innovation.  So it will be our
intention to ask questions through the licensing process that are relevant
to these folks too.   I think we will also be asking some 'breakout'
questions if it appears that there might be something that could be done
outside of the tool that might improve the result.. ie .. re-negotiation
with a content provider who's material has been incorporated

The AusGOAL licence chooser differs from the CC chooser because our primary
intention was to educate public/civil servants about the importance of open
and the need to choose licences with the least restrictions.  It biases
toward CC-BY deliberately.  In contrast, the CC chooser serves up the
licence on the basis that the user already knows what licence terms they
want.

Its available here:  http://www.ausgoal.gov.au/licence-chooser

If I can be of any further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards

________________
*Baden M Appleyard*
National Programme Director
Australian Governments' Open Access and Licensing Framework (AusGOAL)
Mobile: +61(0)459 824 061
Linkedin: http://au.linkedin.com/in/badenappleyard

AusGOAL
Visit our Website <http://www.ausgoal.gov.au> | Like and Share us on