[Open-education] Friday Chat: Do we need open policy?

Marieke Guy marieke.guy at okfn.org
Fri Jun 20 14:26:08 UTC 2014

Thanks Fred,

One thing that came out of the Cetis workshop was the need for policy to
legitimise practice.

So for example Paul Booth from Manchester Metropolitan University talked
about how he was winning awards internally and getting patted on the
back for his film studies OER work. At the same time his institution
(who had no policy in this area) were struggling to understand IP issues
and he was actually heading towards a disciplinary for releasing content.

So policy has a genuine place but if it is not united with practice
(through concerted effort of individuals) then it may just be just a
tick box exercise. Right?

Has anyone done any work following up after policy implementation?

Marieke

--

<%E2%80%9Dhttps://www.facebook.com/OKFNetwork%E2%80%9D> | Blog
<%E2%80%9Dhttp://blog.okfn.org%E2%80%9D> | Newsletter