[Open-education] How can Open Education help children in Syria?]

Jacky Hood jacky.hood at opendoorsgroup.org
Mon Mar 17 17:45:52 UTC 2014

Andre and All,

Qatar Charities (QC) has printed over half a million textbooks for Syrians
in the past year. QC will also finance 50 percent of the value of any
projects for Syrian refugees in Lebanon.

http://thepeninsulaqatar.com/news/qatar/274275/qc-printed-566-000-textbooks-for-syrians-over-last-year

Our organization (Open Doors Group) is working on a project to place a
Print-on-Demand machine in the middle east and supply it with curated
affordable or open-licensed textbook files. More info will be ready in a
few months.

We are also working on a project for southern Africa that will provide
curated affordable or open licensed resources available on mobiles.

Please watch the TED video about the use of non-smart mobile phones in
Africa. This info may also apply in the middle east:

http://www.ted.com/talks/toby_shapshak_you_don_t_need_an_app_for_that

Siyavula group and Shuttleworth Foundation have done some great work in
reformatting Connexions materials to work on non-smart phones.

Regards, Jacky Hood
Open Doors Group