[Open-education] How can Open Education help children in Syria?

Marieke Guy marieke.guy at okfn.org
Wed Mar 19 23:29:43 UTC 2014

Firstly thanks to Andre for starting such an interesting and valuable
discussion on the mailing list, and thanks to all those who have replied.

Megan has now written a blog post about the matter - Distributing OER in
the developing world
<http://meganbeckett.wordpress.com/2014/03/19/distributing-oer-in-the-developing-world/>.

Bernard Nkuyubwatsi has also written a person account of his academic
journey while growing up in Rwanda, I have published it on the Open
Education Working Group blog - A Multidimensional Migration for Social
Inclusion.
<http://education.okfn.org/a-multidimensional-migration-for-social-inclusion-a-personal-account/>
For me personally Bernard's post offers some very clear reasons why open
education matters and reminds us that technology is an enabler, not the
finishing point.

Bernard concludes by saying "I feel it is a ripe moment to support
initiatives that are concerned by social inclusion and contribute to
opening up education to learners who are eager to undertake a similar
migration, regardless of the types of technologies they currently have
access to. The job is now much easier since the content and even courses
have been made open and more technologies have been made available at
affordable prices. It is very important to take a human-centred approach
rather than a techno-centric approach if social inclusion is at the
heart of open education."

Lets continue to think about what we can do to help

Thanks

Marieke

--

Marieke Guy
Project Coordinator | skype: mariekeguy | tel: 44 (0) 1285 885681 |