[Open-education] Friday Chat: The differences between open (as in access) or open (as in participatory & contribution)

Pat Lockley patrick.lockley at googlemail.com
Fri May 23 11:24:42 UTC 2014

I've mumbled about this before re open access as a geography (
http://www.slideshare.net/Pgogy/open-as-in-oer-and-open-as-in-mooc). The
analogy I use is in the UK we have footpaths, which the public are allowed
to walk on - even if say they cut across your land. Whereas in the US you
might have a national park, which is open but you have to get to it.

Footpaths aren't big, parks are. Footpaths tend be nearer, parks tend to be
further away.

I think shifting the burden of accessing openness onto developers is
problematic for two reasons

1) How could they know what to do? Are we talking a Berners-Lee like star
system?
2) How could taking things to people not seem a bit Victorian Empire
Missionary?

I would say developing an accessible first (akin to mobile first) style of
openness makes sense. So make transcripts available for MP3s as an example,
but again, are we having better forms of open? And can we do this and not
put people off being bad open?

So you can be open, but at a point of moving your openness onto people, do
you close things down? Or does it look a little spam like?