[Open-education] Friday Chat: The differences between open (as in access) or open (as in participatory & contribution)

Marieke Guy marieke.guy at okfn.org
Fri May 23 10:15:16 UTC 2014

Hi Everyone,

Sorry we missed our Friday chat last week - this was due to the Making
it Matter workshop (lots of good discussions
<http://linkedup-project.eu/2014/05/21/what-we-learnt-at-making-it-matter/>
there though!)

So on the open design list there was an interesting conversation
<https://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/opendesign/2014-May/000390.html> about
the differences between open (as in access) or open (as in participatory
& contribution)? They were trying to decide which is the most important
and if we have, in the past, focused too much on access?

I was wondering how this ties in with open education. Are conversations
too centered on resources and fail to consider whether people can
actually participate. So here a couple of things come to mind:

  * Being where people are at - do we often trying to force people to
    come to 'a place' rather than going to where they are?
  * Language - we continue to use a lot of jargon
  * Is open education elitist? e.g. material OER is WEIRD (Western,
    Educated, Rich, Democratic), much activity relies on infrastructure,
    learning & teaching practice approaches are often tied to cultures.

Just a few thoughts.

Marieke

If you have an idea for a Friday chat add it to the etherpad
<http://new.okfnpad.org/p/Open_Education_Working_Friday_Chats>.

**

Marieke Guy
LinkedUp <http://linkedup-project.eu/> Project Community Coordinator |