[Open-education] Friday Chat: The differences between open (as in access) or open (as in participatory & contribution)

leutha at fabiant.eu leutha at fabiant.eu
Sat May 24 07:39:58 UTC 2014

Thanks for that Terry, but I think you haven't got the whole story.

It seems to me that the real challenge to hierarchical assumptions started over
fifty years with the Civil Rights movement in America, in particular the Freedom
Schools <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_Schools> which were tied in with
the sit ins <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greensboro_sit-ins> were students
broke down the colour bar. I think it is important to remember that students
involved in this sit-ins took their college books with them and used the time to
study.

People like Mario Savio <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_Savio> and Tom
Hayden <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Hayden> always acknowledge the role of
what they learnt from their participation in the civil rights movement in their
subsequent activities like the Berkeley Free Speech Movement
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Speech_Movement> and the Port Huron Statement
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Huron_Statement> .

These social movements played a crucial role in providing the environment which
gave rise to Silicon Valley. The People's Computer Company
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People%27s_Computer_Company> were advocates of
Open Source, and went on to spawn the Homebrew Computing Club
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homebrew_Computer_Club> .

So I am not sure I can go along with an approach based on technological
determinism. It was the social activism of the sixties and seventies which gave
rise to the knowledge revolution and the technological advances which have had
such an impact on contemporary society.

I agree that it is important to question the role of educational institutions,
but let's do this in the context of a questioning which goes back a long way.
Ivan Illich <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Illich> , for example, questioned
the role of schools and advocated learning webs:

And let's keep a balanced perspective which sees a dialectical relationship
between technology and human aspirations, as I sometimes worry that
technological determinism paves the way for technocratic solutions.

all the best

Fabian Tompsett