[Open-education] Friday Chat: The differences between open (as in access) or open (as in participatory & contribution)

Mick - FM mick at flossmanuals.net
Sat May 24 08:31:32 UTC 2014

On 24/05/14 08:39, leutha at fabiant.eu wrote:

> People like Mario Savio <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_Savio> and
> Tom Hayden <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Hayden> always
> acknowledge the role of what they learnt from their participation in
> the civil rights movement in their subsequent activities like the
> Berkeley Free Speech Movement
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Speech_Movement> and the Port Huron
> Statement <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Huron_Statement>.
>
> These social movements played a crucial role in providing the
> environment which gave rise to Silicon Valley. ThePeople's Computer
> Company <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People%27s_Computer_Company>
> were advocates of Open Source, and went on to spawn the Homebrew
> Computing Club <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homebrew_Computer_Club>.
>
> So I am not sure I can go along with an approach based on
> technological determinism. It was the social activism of the sixties
> and seventies which gave rise to the knowledge revolution and the
> technological advances which have had such an impact on contemporary
> society.

Hi Letha,

I like that summary.
Would you consider adding those thoughts to this page on a course on
participatory workshops that I helped to create last summer?

https://p2pu.org/en/courses/77/content/828/

Let me know if you're interested and I can let you how (in short you
just register, log in and hit edit )

nice one
mick