[Open-education] Opening the Curriculum: Open Education Resources in U.S. Higher Education, 2014

Laura Hilliger laura at mozillafoundation.org
Fri Nov 21 12:52:49 UTC 2014

Good timing! I’ve been dabbling in barriers to adopting OERs more exclusively today than normally :)

Interesting that in previous studies Most academic leaders were at least somewhat aware of open educational resources(OER) and slightly over half listed themselves as “Aware”or “Very aware.” while this study’s key finding starts with Faculty are not very aware of open educational resources.Depending on the strictness of the awareness measure, between two-thirds and three-quarters of all faculty classify themselves as unaware on OER.

I also thought the graphic showing that Health and related Faculty had the least control over selecting resources, while they had the highest percentage of awareness around OERs (though the least “very aware”).

Based on the section of defining “awareness”, it would seem that there are disconnects between administration and faculty. More interesting (to me) is that this report seems to show a need for professional development on the concept of “open” in general, which, while likely known to people on this list, isn’t the type of PD most formal institutions allot their training budgets to.

Thanks Marieke!

 <https://webmaker.org/>	Laura Hilliger
Training & Educational Lead
Mozilla Foundation