[Open-education] Fwd: Webinars on Open Education

Marieke Guy marieke.guy at okfn.org
Fri Oct 10 09:49:19 UTC 2014

Maybe of interest?

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Webinars on Open Education
Date: 	Fri, 10 Oct 2014 10:20:21 +0100
From: 	Terry Loane <terry at DAWSONLOANE.CO.UK>
To: 	OPENEDSIG at JISCMAIL.AC.UK

Following the webinars that took place in June, the ALT Open Education
Special Interest Group is promoting three further  webinars on Open
Education during November and December. The webinars are open to all,
and details are shown below.

I am sorry for any inconvenience caused by cross-posting.

Terry Loane
Secretary, ALT Open Education SIG

*1. How to write an OER workshop (for staff development)*

*Wednesday 5th November  13.00 - 13.40*

This workshop will look at how advocates of  Open Education can use and
reuse existing OER materials for training sessions cascading the OE message.

By exploring the huge variety of materials that exist, this webinar will
demonstrate how your workshop can represent the OE agenda itself and act
as an example of how reusing materials can be an effective and efficient
choice when designing and creating learning activities.

Presenters: Alex Fenlon and Ella Mitchell

Link to webinar:

https://sas.elluminate.com/m.jnlp?sid=7565&password=M.EB5A1870DD4B812AC04FD7BDAD8E0F

*2. Title: Creating and using video resources for language teaching.**
**(Open Educational Practice)**
**
**Tuesday 25 Nov  13.00 - 13.40**
*
The University of Warwick Language Centre and the Centre for Applied
Linguistics are partners in an EU project called Video for All. The
project’s mission is to support language teachers in all sectors in the
exploitation of video for teaching. The Language Centre has been
innovating in the use of digital media for some time and is the subject
of a Jisc Digital Media case study. Video for All will produce exemplar
practices for teachers which are searchable and available as Open
Educational Resources. However, challenges are evident. The presenter
has recently co-authored a submission to the Education Policy Analysis
Archives (EPAA) for a special issue exploring “Models of Open Education
in Higher Education”. This webinar will discuss some of the issues we
are dealing with in the hope that the OER sig will be able to contribute
to our discussions and offer feedback on our decision making process.

Key words:

Streaming media; creative commons licensing; repositories; repurposing
and remixing; copyright.

Teresa MacKinnon
LinkedIn Profile <https://www.linkedin.com/in/teresamac>
Principal Teaching Fellow,
School of Languages and Cultures
University of Warwick.

To join go to:
https://ca-sas.bbcollab.com/site/external/jwsdetect/meeting.jnlp?sid=2012058&username=&password=M.7E015779A2D9581AF91B36BB9F5E97
<https://ca-sas.bbcollab.com/site/external/jwsdetect/meeting.jnlp?sid=2012058&username=&password=M.7E015779A2D9581AF91B36BB9F5E97>

*3. Creative Commons - understanding the basics (CC for Dummies)**
**
**Thursday December 11th 13.00 - 13.40*

Creative Commons (CC) licences are a simple way of retaining copyright
whilst allowing others to reuse your work. The range of licences lets
you define how others can reuse your material. This session will
demonstrate how simple it is to use CC licences and what they mean in
practice.

We will also introduce the UK repository JORUM, demonstrating how to
apply CC licences to materials as you deposit.

Presentation: Vivien Sieber and Siobhan Burke
Moderator: Alex Fenlon

Webinar link

https://sas.elluminate.com/m.jnlp?sid=7565&password=M.4F5E50E2B182B1FEE046461D9A8CA6
<https://sas.elluminate.com/m.jnlp?sid=7565&password=M.4F5E50E2B182B1FEE046461D9A8CA6>

TECHNICAL NOTE

Please note that the sessions will take place in Blackboard Collaborate.
Even if you are familiar with Blackboard, it is important that in
advance you check that your system and connection are capable of
handling a session, and that you have the (small) Blackboard Collaborate
client successfully installed. Do this from the support page at
http://www.elluminate.com/support/