[Open-education] Friday chat: 'Open Open' Days and meta communities - open education groups

jacky.hood at opendoorsgroup.org jacky.hood at opendoorsgroup.org
Fri Oct 3 13:22:51 UTC 2014

WikiEducator is an outstanding community with vigorous interaction.
MERLOT also encourages excellent working relationships primarily through
its review process and awards for 'porting' MERLOT to new geographies.

On 2014-10-03 4:08 am, Marieke Guy wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> At the
working group call on Monday we talked a little about communities:

Community: Marieke will be moving on to other projects later on in the
year and is keen to spread the co-ordination of the group out a little.
Javiera has offered to spend more time supporting the working group in
the new year! There followed a discussion over the challenges of
'building a Community' and overlapping communities. Quite a few related
open education communities were identified including: Open education
graduate community, UNESCo group, OER discuss, P2PU, GO-GN (Global Open
Educational Resources Gradute Network), ALT's OER SIG committee. It was
suggested that the Open Education Working Group hold a 'meta community
day' or 'open open day' and try to bring some of these communities
together. - See more at:
http://education.okfn.org/minutes-from-5th-working-group-call/#sthash.C13HkB5R.dpuf
[2] From the minutes [3]: "There followed a discussion over the
challenges of 'building a Community' and overlapping communities. Quite
a few related open education communities were identified including: Open
education graduate community, UNESCO group, OER discuss, P2PU, GO-GN
(Global Open Educational Resources Gradute Network), ALT's OER SIG
committee. It was suggested that the Open Education Working Group hold a
'meta community day' or 'open open day' and try to bring some of these
communities together."

> Interestingly this seems to be something the
Open Science community are currently discussing - though they are
thinking more about tools.

http://ubuntusense.com/2014/09/30/thoughts-on-having-a-meta-open-science-community/
[4]

> The 'Open Coalition [5]' is a great example of a meta
community in the open space. So the question is how can the Open
Education Working Group help facilitate a meta community for open
education?

> Anyway it would be great to brain storm groups in this
space. We have a list of OER groups in the handbook [6] - but can we
think wider than this - so more general open education groups?

> Any
thoughts much appreciated!

> Marieke
>
> Community: Marieke will be
moving on to other projects later on in the year and is keen to spread
the co-ordination of the group out a little. Javiera has offered to
spend more time supporting the working group in the new year! There
followed a discussion over the challenges of 'building a Community' and
overlapping communities. Quite a few related open education communities
were identified including: Open education graduate community, UNESCo
group, OER discuss, P2PU, GO-GN (Global Open Educational Resources
Gradute Network), ALT's OER SIG committee. It was suggested that the
Open Education Working Group hold a 'meta community day' or 'open open
day' and try to bring some of these communities together. - See more at:
http://education.okfn.org/minutes-from-5th-working-group-call/#sthash.C13HkB5R.dpuf
[2]http://ubuntusense.com/2014/09/30/thoughts-on-having-a-meta-open-science-community/
[4]
> --
>
> Marieke Guy
> LinkedUp [7] Project Community
Coordinator | skype: mariekeguy | tel: 44 (0) 1285 885681 | @mariekeguy
[8]
> Open Knowledge [9]
> _Empowering through Open Knowledge_

http://okfn.org/ [9] | @okfn [10]| OKF on Facebook | Blog | Newsletter

http://remoteworker.wordpress.com [11]

Jacky
Hood, Co-Director, ODG Division
Open Doors Group [12] / College Open
Textbooks
 [13]650 323-5609 home office - preferred
650 847-0295 cell -
seldom on or checked

--

Links: