[Open-education] Friday Chat: Personal experiences of MOOCs

Rebecca Kahn bekka at p2pu.org
Mon Sep 15 09:30:40 UTC 2014

We think about people's experiences of MOOCs at lot at P2PU.
One of the things our research and experiences has found (and we've run 4
non-MOOC type mass courses so far) is that having a peer group to learn
with is essential. Otherwise, MOOC models tend to just mirror the
one-to-many model of traditional higher education. Also, we tend to have
higher completion rates in P2PU MOOCs and we're pretty sure that's due to
the peer-to-peer nature of our model.

We talk about this in a couple of reports we've written, if anyone is
interested - this one <http://reports.p2pu.org/mooc-maker/> is a reflection
on how we built a Mechanical MOOC, which focuses on community rather than
fancy platforms or complex materials.

The other report <http://reports.p2pu.org/play-with-your-music/> is about
an online music MOOC that we worked on with NYU.  In this one, we spent a
lot of time thinking about how to group people, and build cohorts which
could work their way through the materials.

Hope these are interesting - it's a fascinating topic....

Bekka