[Open-education] Friday Chat: Personal experiences of MOOCs

Richardson P.B.R. p.b.r.richardson at swansea.ac.uk
Mon Sep 15 09:27:59 UTC 2014

Thanks, Terry,

These are wise words, in my view. The 'drop-out'/ 'drop-in' question is a good one. However, it seems to me that the debate on this has been somewhat muddied by the stakeholder perspectives which people are taking (and people often try to take multiple perspectives, or are trying to imagine themselves into roles they are not truly 'in'). From an institutional perspective,  it surely must matter how many students 'complete' or 'progress'. If the business model involves engaging more students on accredited courses, then conversion rates to these courses will be critical (just as selling 'premium' accounts is essential in 'Freemium' online businesses). Likewise, agencies responsible for funding, accreditation and quality must surely take these statistics into account.
However, an individual learner may well be able to achieve their goals without 'completing', and even without their activity being visible on the system beyond a few hits of the browser. Some of the most potent arguments from the "it doesn't matter about completion rates" camp have been based on individual experience (e.g. Donald Clarke's postings), and there is nothing wrong with that. But the debate on the impact of the MOOC on the viability of institutions is several steps removed from this.

However, when you say that we need to more flexible models of learning: Yes! Count me in.....

Paul

(Paul Richardson; Jisc RSC Wales)