[Open-education] Friday Chat: Personal experiences of MOOCs

Terry Loane terryloane at aol.com
Sat Sep 13 16:19:52 UTC 2014

I have taken part as a student in three MOOCs (two of which were
arranged by Futurelearn <https://www.futurelearn.com/>). I certainly did
not 'complete' any of these in the conventional sense of covering
absolutely all of the material provided, but I certainly gained a lot
out of doing what I did do. Somebody (perhaps on this list, I can't
remember) once said that we should not ask the question 'How many MOOCs
have you dropped out of?' but rather 'How many MOOCs have you dropped into?'

I think we still have rather a monolithic mindset when it comes to
educational activity. As students (or potential students) we expect a
single institution (e.g. school, college, university) to provide
everything for us: teacher, course material, social learning
environment, accreditation etc. But for me the key difference that open
resources, and indeed digital technology in general, make is that we no
longer have to think like this. We should be able to adopt a
'pick'n'mix' approach, taking personal responsibility, with suitable
guidance if we need it, for choosing our own set of resources, learning
environments, learning companions etc. But there is no tradition to help
us think like this, and the institutions themselves do not want to give
up their power over the learning process, so it is difficult to make the
change that technology should, I believe, be facilitating.

So MOOCs, as they are currently created and 'delivered', will not, I
think, be 'the answer'. Something like MOOCs may end up as part of the
mix, but if they are to play a successful part in facilitating learning,
such courses/resources will need to be used within a supportive social
learning environment. And we can't have Massive Open Online learning
communities, because human beings have been designed and evolved to work
best within support networks provided by relatively small groups. I have
not experienced such social support within MOOCs, even with so-called
cMOOCs <http://degreeoffreedom.org/xmooc-vs-cmooc/>.

I believe we need to be imaginative in moving away from monolithic
institution-based assumptions about learning towards more flexible
models that combine the advantages both of the massive and revolutionary
access to open resources provided by the web and of our need for support
from small-scale learning networks and communities of practice.

What do others think?

Terry Loane