[Open-education] "How to OER" -- practical suggestions for educators & where to publish

Marieke Guy marieke.guy at okfn.org
Wed Apr 29 12:43:44 UTC 2015

Hi Rens and welcome to the list!

I'm sure other people may have more specific answers but I'm going to
point you to some collated resources that are available in our handbook.
*
1) What is the "best" place to publish my resources? *
Here's a comprehensive list of OER repositories:
http://booktype.okfn.org/open-education-handbook-2014/finding-and-using-oer/

also take a look at
http://booktype.okfn.org/open-education-handbook-2014/publishing-oer-online/

The focus can sometimes be on finding resources but different countries
and different sectors will have preferrable publishing places. So for
example in the UK we tend to use http://www.jorum.ac.uk/, I can also
recommend https://www.oercommons.org/

*2) What is the commonly suggested license for the resources? *
At Open Knowledge we advocate for truly open licences that adhere to the
Open Definition <http://opendefinition.org/> - so CC-BY, CC0 for obvious
reasons [- as you say with NC it "means that we cannot use these
resources, as our university receives money from the students (which in
Germany at least means we cannot use NC content)".]

*3) How do you deal with partial content, and how can we make coursework
incrementally more open? *
Good question. Take a look at
http://booktype.okfn.org/open-education-handbook-2014/creating-developing-oer/.
I'd also recommend the Open Educational ideas project
<http://www.idea-space.eu/>. Others might be able to share experiences here.

Marieke

On 28/04/2015 14:23, Rens van der Heijden wrote:
> Dear open education list,
>
> I have a few practical questions regarding the topic of open education
> resources. However, as a new subscriber I should probably say hello
> first -- I'm Rens van der Heijden, a PhD candidate in Computer Science
> at Ulm University. I am responsible for the labs and practical parts
> of several computer security related courses here in Ulm (since 2012).
>
> Several recent developments, including instructions from our legal
> department, have reminded me of the need for OER. In particular, some
> of our professors are now having second thoughts about publishing
> lecture slides, which for many courses is the primary source for the
> students, because these slides have developed over decades. Thus,
> no-one can really guarantee the material within is all public domain
> or sufficiently cited.
> In addition, after some semesters of working on these courses, I would
> like the work I've spent on this to reach a wider public. Unlike many
> of our courses, this work is practically all in English, which makes
> it easier to re-use by others.
> Finally, in collaboration with the student body for computer science,
> we are currently considering setting up some activities to stimulate
> both the use and actual publication of our work as OER.
>
> With this background, I have a few questions that I did not really
> find answers to in the archives (at least, after a quick search):
> 1) What is the "best" place to publish my resources?
> I've done a bit of searching, and there seem to be many places to
> download/use resources (e.g., wikiversity, and many suggestions at
> http://libguides.umuc.edu/content.php?pid=10994&sid=4062246 or
> http://www.unesco.de/bildung/open-educational-resources.html (German)
> ). However, a scary amount of these seems to be unreachable. In
> addition, it is not always clear how I can contribute work back,
> especially more practical work like exercises, quiz questions, lecture
> slides and demonstrations, as opposed to books.
>
> 2) What is the commonly suggested license for the resources?
> I've started the habit of using CC0 as license for all the content I
> produce, unless there is some reason not to, but I'd like to also know
> what license is used by the state of the art. I've seen for example
> that the open university (open.edu) uses CC-BY-NC-SA, which means that
> we cannot use these resources, as our university receives money from
> the students (which in Germany at least means we cannot use NC content).
>
> 3) How do you deal with partial content, and how can we make
> coursework incrementally more open?
> For many of our professors, one important reason (perhaps even THE
> reason) that OER is not implemented seems to be that we are dealing
> with legacy work, and there is no time between research and management
> to completely revise a lecture. Even when a lecture moves between
> professors, legacy content is often (re-)used, and it is definitely
> [...]

Marieke Guy
Project Coordinator | skype: mariekeguy | tel: 44 (0) 1285 885681 |
@mariekeguy <http://twitter.com/mariekeguy>
Open Education Working Group <http://education.okfn.org/>
Open Knowledge <http://okfn.org/> | @okfn <http://twitter.com/okfn>|
Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/OKFNetwork> | Blog