[Open-education] Using data in the classroom

Terry Loane terryloane at aol.com
Tue Aug 11 19:52:53 UTC 2015

Thanks for the links, Marieke. The blog article is great and the Tuva
tool appears to be very good (although I have not really had the
opportunity to play with it).

I sometimes worry that there is too much data in the world (because this
makes us fall into the error of thinking that all the world's problems
require numerical data to understand or solve them). But, as it says in
the blog article, it is essential for democracy that people can
understand data and statistics. People might, for example, be more
inclined to question government priorities if they understood that the
data shows that we are more likely die by being stung by an insect or by
drowning in the bath than from an act of terrorism.

Best wishes

Terry Loane