[Open-education] Using data in the classroom

alannah fitzgerald alannahfitzgerald at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 20:11:57 UTC 2015

Yes, a very insightful blog post, thanks for sharing, Marieke. And, very
valid points, Terry, on government priorities aka propaganda.

I just signed up for the FutureLearn MOOC at the OU on Learning to Code for
Data Analyses https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/learn-to-code, which will
be using Python and the Jupyter Notebooks platform. Open datasets from the
WHO and the World Bank will be used, and I think the journalist who does
the trailer for the course makes a very good case for how open data  is
used in journalism and it's potential uses elsewhere, including as we know,
education.

With all good wishes,

Alannah

Alannah Fitzgerald

Open Fellow with the Open Educational Resources Research Hub at the UK Open
University

PhD Candidate in Educational Technology at Concordia University, Canada

FLAX Language Project at the University of Waikato, NZ (*flax.nzdl.org
<http://flax.nzdl.org>*)
www.alannahfitzgerald.org / @AlannahFitz / www.slideshare.net/AlannahOpenEd
<http://www.slideshare.net/AlannahOpenEd>