[Open-education] About Open Textbook Sprints/Hackathons

Werner Westermann wernerwestermannj at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 15:35:29 UTC 2015

Dear all, regards from Santiago, Chile.

With the premise to participatory engage teachers and students, in a first
place, as well as other profiles, that could contribute to building a Open
Textbook from scratch, I've been looking for ways to approach a Open
Textbook sprint or hackathon.  I've been trying to pull out some kind of
play script for such an event, as well as preliminary and post-event
activities.  The main practices reviewed come from these experiences:

   - http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/34643  Finnish experiencie
   with a math textbook.
   -
   http://bccampus.ca/2013/11/25/thinking-about-a-bc-textbook-booksprinthackathon/
   BC sprint, supported by the company Booksprints.
   - http://hackeducation.com/2012/10/23/hacking-the-textbook/  Boston
   based open textbook companies.

Any thoughts or references around a methodology/strategy for a Open
Textbook sprint/hackathon?  How does the idea of an "Open Textbook Sprint
Playbook" sound?

Best wishes,

Werner Westermann