[Open-education] About Open Textbook Sprints/Hackathons

Werner Westermann wernerwestermannj at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 13:59:56 UTC 2015

Hello Clint, thanks for your response, had the chance to shake hands in
Banff, last April.  Indeed, the most reviewed experience is the one you
coordinated at BC.  Impressive result of the workshop (4,000 plus pages of
knowledge created) in such a short time!!  Reading about what you achieved,
some questions come to mind:

   - The experience was mediated by an external facilitator:  do you feel
   you had capacity-building to strive forward on your own, or is the
   facilitator critical?
   - Are there other sprints programmed in the future?  Being so many gaps
   around thematic coverage of open textbooks, what are the barriers to not be
   doing this type of activities more often?  Is remixing and adaptation of
   already existing OER material that copes the efforts?
   - I searched for the Geography textbook, is it still under validation or
   review?  What are the major challenges post-sprint?
   - What's your feel around setting up incentives (gifts, recognition) to
   foster this activities?

Congratulations on all the hard work, a true inspiration in the OER/Open
Education landscape. Best wishes,

Werner Westermann